The week's tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- About 2PM, 25 years ago today I landed in New Zealand for the first time. It was a surprisingly emotional experience, because as the wheels touched down I burst into tears as if I had finally found my home. Aroha nui.
- At the Beehive for this year's Budget Lockup. Tune in after 2PM for my thoughts on Grant Robertson's first Budget.
- Well no tax surprises in the Budget other than an extra $31.3 million for IRD and a new bloodstock tax deduction for "high quality horses". More anon.
- My thoughts on the Budget's (few) tax initiatives | Surprise! No tax surprises
- I was on this flight; the crew handled it all extremely professionally and yes there was at least one MP on the flight | Passenger suffers suspected heart attack on Wellington to Auckland flight
- I agree with Mike Rudd, the returns expected seem ambitious | Budget 2018: Tax crackdown to raise $183 million over four years
- One of Mary's questioners is baffled by the rules around the taxation of shares & even IRD couldn't provide a clear cut answer | Ask Mary: 'Nothing passive about property investment'
- Hera blogged about her experience with her first tax return and it probably encapsulates a lot of people's frustrations about tax particularly if your passion is the Arts
- Interesting insight into the behavioural impact of taxes although some of the increases could be due to the rise in the price of oil | The Auckland fuel tax always looked doomed, just not quite this quickly
- Some interesting observations here from Minter Ellison | Tax Working Group poll highlights Kiwis’ Capital Gains Tax concerns
Inland Revenue news
- Interesting to see that New Zealand's foreign trust regime has not yet been identified as being a preferential regime
- This about the Australian Budget is a timely reminder to look beyond the headlines at the Budget announcements. NZ is not at the same stage but keeping it that way requires continual vigilance | How we arrived at budgets we can't trust
United Kingdom Tax
- Guernsey did get itself excluded from requirement for public registers but for how long? Interesting constitutional issue brewing | Guernsey asserts right to reject future UK interference
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.