The week's tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- A valid question. Interesting that seems to be consensus that jailing white-collar crime is a deterrent | Cost vs justice: Should tax dodgers go to jail?
- "If a tax on drinks simply induces a switch to chocolate, for example, then health outcomes might remain unchanged" a salient point | Laurie Kubiak: NZIER's review of studies of sugary drinks tax finds no benefits
- Excellent article indeed. Possibly one of the biggest issues Geof and the Tax Working Group will have to consider
Inland Revenue news
- Unusually careless but fortunately, files recovered from back-up. Still a salutary lesson | Cryptolocker malware hits IRD, locks 3500 files
- This is excellent news | Small business payroll subsidy renewed
- In essence a turnover tax | EU plans new tax for tech giants up to 5 percent of gross revenues
- Good thread here as Dan runs through the possible consequences of a turnover tax on digital businesses
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.