The week's tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- Question not answered here is if investors are running losses initially what's the attraction in the first place? | Property Institute warns of 'disastrous impact' of tax changes
- Note comments that NZ was "marked down slightly on the availability of beneficial ownership information for some entities." Increased foreign trust disclosures to come? | New Zealand scores highly in OECD tax transparency review
- Tune in @Breakfaston1 tomorrow at 06.20 when I'll be talking about tax refunds
- Up bright and early this morning to talk about tax refund companies and the Tax Working Group with the very professional @jacktame on @Breakfaston1
- Hmmm. Don't the tax breaks represent a subsidy from other taxpayers both rich and poor? | Tax changes risk being a middle finger to the middle class
- Unsurprising, Australia is introducing this from 1 July so will be interesting to see the proposed start date | Government announces further tax for Kiwis buying low-value goods online
- New online GST changes to take effect from 1 October 2019 | Govt expects '75% compliance' on foreign GST it cannot police
Inland Revenue news
- Government releases discussion document regarding R&D tax incentive proposals. Submissions close on 1 June
- Small wonder as Drago Kos, Chair of the OECD Working Group on Bribery notes between 1999 and 2017 only five countries sent cases to court that had been flagged by their tax authorities
- Lots to digest in this report and New Zealand families come out well, mainly due to the effect of working for families credits
- The power of negative gearing. Would be interesting to see if anyone in same position in New Zealand | Number of Australians who earned more than $1m a year yet paid no tax surges 30%
United Kingdom Tax
- A good example of the issues around domicile and Inheritance Tax in the UK | Indian restauranteur ruled domiciled in England despite dying in India
- UK Inheritance Tax is a notoriously complex tax particularly in relation to trusts | Office of Tax Simplification calls for evidence on IHT complexity
- A major move which should have legislative effect throughout the EU by 31 December 2019 | EU Fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive now set for statute books
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.