The week's tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- We'll see plenty of speculation over the next year or so. Better to go for a GST rate reduction IMO | Tampon tax break on the table in sweeping system review
- Great background work here | David Chaston casts a broad historical eye over NZ tax and how it's paid
- Here's me on tax thresholds & EMTRs | Minimum wage hike or tax cut: What's the best way to get money into low income earners' pockets?
- Good overview about new disclosure rules for foreign trusts & resulting complexity | Complying and foreign trusts a risk factor for NZ accountants
- Some interesting insights here | Money at the crossroads: The profound challenges ahead for work, tax and income
- With Bitcoin trading apparently through the USD10,000 mark, here's a repeat of a recent column on the tax treatment of cryptocurrencies
- Absolutely. Maybe it's also time to look at imputation system as well | Tax breaks for 'Kiwi battlers' need careful examination
- Let's Talk About Tax NZ looks back (but not in anger) at the 2001 McLeod Tax Review, the last Labour government's tax review | My fair tax review
- Brian Fallow in @nzheraldbiz on the tax review & the taxation of capital, something @BeeFaerie & I looked at in depth in 'Tax and Fairness' | Let's get tax right this time
- Reminder that GST is due to be paid and filed today. File now in myIR and cross it off your list
- Excellent initiative here from @NZInlandRevenue
United States Tax
- That will be a VERY interesting assignment :) | Meghan Markle's U.S. citizenship could cause tax headaches for British royal family
United Kingdom Tax
- I think we'll see more measures like this as the impact of Brexit sinks in | The U.K. is targeting foreign real estate buyers with a capital-gains tax
- Hmmm. An unrealistically high bar for tax advice? | England and Wales High Court discourages taxpayers from relying on HMRC's manuals
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.