The week's tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- "IRD staffer told him they suspected someone put Nikolai's IRD number in by mistake when filling their tax form out online" Disconcerting if true | $23,000 tax bill sent to 8-year-old Auckland boy
- The latest in @TheSpinoffTV - excellent series profiling tax looks at Jo Sawden, the head of tax at Westpac
- This @TheSpinoffTV interview with Sir Michael Cullen is full of interesting insights on the Tax Working Group, the politics of tax and the differing views on taxes between Treasury & IRD
- Reducing the scope of the cash economy is a good goal but we should still be watchful about how much power is given to the IRD. I suspect few people including MPs know how extensive IRD's powers are | Tori Sullivan: Taxman's robots to hunt out cash jobs
Inland Revenue news
- A significant disruption but realistically this is the best time of the tax year in which to complete the changeover
- Some useful commentary here - as noted the GST treatment of cryptocurrencies needs clarification | What's missing in the IRD's cryptocurrency guidance (via @NewsroomNZ)
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.