The week's tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- I have a few clients that won't agree! | Majority of Kiwis want Govt to collect more tax
- All valid questions and that's without discussing GST | Problems with the crypto investors tax treatment
- Fairer taxation of savings should be near the top of issues for the Tax Working Group to consider | Former minister: We got it wrong on tax incentives
- Good overview of the issues involved | Tourism tax may never be perfect, but something must be done to protect the industry
- Some interesting results here: unsurprisingly means testing isn't popular and neither is raising the age limit or taxes. A tough problem for politicians to solve.
- From a tax perspective I'm not expecting any tax measures tomorrow except maybe some adjustment of thresholds | Budget 2018: What you need to know before Thursday
Inland Revenue news
- This is part of Inland Revenue’s latest campaign targeting the hospitality industry - one of the high risk areas for undeclared income
- I'd recommend using Inland Revenue's MyIR service as a safe way of checking for tax refunds
- Good primer on the basic principles. Also note the square metre option available from the 2017-18 year onwards.
- The Taxation (Neutralising Base Erosion and Profit Shifting) Bill, introduced on 6 December 2017, was reported back to Parliament today. Officials' report on submissions is here
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.