Services For Private Individuals

At Baucher Consulting we frequently assist individuals who require specialist tax advice. Our clients are often referred by other accountancy and financial advisory firms. We will work alongside your existing advisors as specialist tax advisors.  As Tax agents registered with Inland Revenue we can prepare and file your tax returns in NZ as well as overseas.  

Our advice regularly involves dealing with multiple tax jurisdictions, trust taxation and business planning for large transactions - such as land sales and purchases. We also assist with filing tax returns and voluntary disclosures that are required with overseas or United Kingdom pension transfers, foreign superannuation schemes and overseas income (such as from a rental property).

For clients with foreign investment portfolios - including shares, bonds and interest deposits - we are experts in handling Foreign Investment Fund and Financial Arrangements disclosures to Inland Revenue.

We have advised many families moving to or from New Zealand on how to manage a tax efficient transfer of assets, including pension funds and superannuation schemes. Our services are also used by individuals who must file tax returns both in New Zealand and other countries, such as the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada and the USA.

If you require specialist tax advice, then call us today.

See below people we've helped (names were changed to protect our clients' privacy)

Pension Transfer

Three years ago, Alun and Beth emigrated to New Zealand from their home in Bristol, United Kingdom. They both had pensions; Beth, a final salary pension scheme through her NHS nursing position and Alun, a private company pension. Both made sure to transfer their pensions but they didn’t realise they needed to inform Inland Revenue. They were confused about the four year exemption period and the impact this had when they formally became tax residents.

Our advice...

  • We were able to confirm eligibility for the transitional residents exemption.
  • We were able to inform them of their ongoing New Zealand and United Kingdom tax obligations.
  • Organise a lump sum drawdown of pensions without deduction of United Kingdom PAYE.

Overseas Investments

Robert, an executive in a New Zealand tech company, contacted us about his United Kingdom investments that he’d held for six years. He’d been paying tax in the United Kingdom but had never declared his investments to Inland Revenue in New Zealand. He didn’t know if he should declare them or what would happen to his tax position when he did.

Our advice...

  • We advised him on his tax obligations in the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
  • We were able to calculate his New Zealand tax liabilities and assisted in making full disclosures to Inland Revenue.

British Rental Property

Joanna contacted us asking for advice about the implications of transferring her United Kingdom pension scheme. During the course of our discussion it emerged she had a United Kingdom rental property which was making a loss. She was filing United Kingdom tax returns but had not declared them in New Zealand.

Our advice...

  • We filed a revised New Zealand tax return incorporating the United Kingdom rental income.
  • Because of the accumulated tax losses this resulted in a tax refund.