The week’s tax news in one handy summary.
New Zealand Tax
- My last column of the year for http://interest.co.nz looks at the TWG’s interim conclusions on taxing capital
- Fair point on inflation: the alternative would be to adopt the risk-free rate of return. Not sure the Taxpayers’ Union base would like that | Capital gains tax: Let’s not tax Kiwis for ‘paper gains’ on property and savings
- A Christmas Tax Frenzy
- Will the Tax Working Group solve an intractable issue that politicians have endlessly kicked down the road? I review the possible approaches to CGT introduction in NZ http://interest.co.nz
- Pretty explosive claims here from Troy Bowker | Treaty claims could be the straw that breaks the back of capital gains tax
- Just re-upping my final column of the year for http://interest.co.nz about the TWG’s interim conclusions on taxing capital
- My final newsletter for the year has an overview of the latest tax bill and a reminder about deductibility of Christmas entertainment expenditure
- Some Christmas reading for you – my final newsletter for the year has an overview of the latest tax bill and a reminder about deductibility of Christmas entertainment expenditure
- The year in tax has been dominated by the progress of the Tax Working Group so here’s my latest column on its prognostications |
- This was a lot of fun to write – Top 10 on Tax from earlier this year
- IMO there’s a good case for hypothecating any such tax and using it for drug education | How much could New Zealand earn from taxing legal cannabis?
- Payday filing will be a mixed blessing because it will increase compliance costs for smaller businesses. One option might be to consider using a payroll provider such as Smart
- There will be a heap more of these from next April when the automatic square-up goes online. Be vigilant. | Inland Revenue warns about new tax return scam
- Be prepared for refund scams
- Even allowing for the relative sizes of the economies the scale of the negative gearing in Australia is breath-taking |
After a 96 year losing streak, is time up for negative gearing? via @smh
- The French Finance Minister has an unwelcome Christmas present for the tech giants which he estimates will raise 500 million euros in a full year | France to push ahead with digital tax starting Jan 1
I follow interesting tax news stories from around the world and share them on Twitter.
These are a selection of our best tweets from the previous week.