Terry’s guest on the podcast today is Deborah Russell, MP with whom he co-authored Tax and Fairness book. They dig into how the government and parliament legislate tax policy.
- Deborah is on the Finance and Expenditure Select Committee – what do they discuss?
- The Loss Ringfencing Bill going through parliament also focuses on getting GST from online sales
- Most tax legislation goes through unopposed – who knew?
- The working day of a parliamentarian – a 40 hour week done in 3 days
- The Inland Revenue IT upgrade – tax agents felt less-involved than they could
- Next week’s budget – MPs get prior announcements an hour beforehand
- The living standards framework – based on Amartya Sen and Martha Nussbaum’s work
- And a prize draw….